Monday, April 07, 2008

Stomach Flu

Last Friday, out of no where, I suddenly felt cramp around my stomach, followed by uncomfortable feeling about my body - nausea + loss of appetite + chills + fatigue + gassy filling all over my body. Then, I vomitted after a mild dinner. Then, I started develop a diarrhea. The next day, I felt so tired, so fatigue and I thought I was going to get a fever. I went to see the doctor, she told me I got a very mild fever and prescribed me with a paracetamol and medicine to prevent nausea/vomit and also Vit C.

I felt better today but I still have problem with my 'routine'. The food gets through very quickly and I loss lots of water. I mean, I still have diarrhea. Then, I thought of Stomach Flu.. so, I searched in the web, and I guess I am right. I think I have been infected by one of these virus : rotaviruses, adenoviruses, or Norwalk virus.

The symptoms are:
>>nausea
>>vomiting
>>stomach cramps
>>diarrhea
>>mild fever
>>fatigue
>>chills
>>loss of appetite
>>muscle aches.
The illness may develop over a period of hours, or it may suddenly start with stomach cramps, vomiting, or diarrhea.
(I think I have all of these!)

Gastroenteritis is caused by swallowing one of these viruses. The body fluids of infected people contain the virus, sometimes even before their symptoms begin. The virus can be spread by direct contact with an infected person (for example, kissing or shaking hands) or by sharing food, drink, or eating utensils. (I don't know where I picked-up this virus!)

The most important thing to do is to rest the stomach and intestines. You can do this by first eating nothing solid and drinking only clear liquids. A little later you can eat soft bland foods that are easy to digest. If you have been vomiting a lot, it is best to have only small, frequent sips of liquids. If water is the only liquid you can drink without vomiting, that is okay. However, if you have been vomiting often for a long time, you must replace the minerals, sodium and potassium, that are lost when you vomit. Other clear liquids you can drink are weak tea and apple juice. You may also drink soft drinks without caffeine (such as 7-UP) after letting them go flat (lose their carbonation). Chilling the liquids may help you keep them down. Avoid liquids that are acidic (such as orange juice) or caffeinated (such as coffee) or have a lot of carbonation. Do not drink milk until you no longer have diarrhea. You may start eating soft bland foods when you have not vomited for several hours and are able to drink clear liquids without further upset. Soda crackers, toast, plain noodles, gelatin, eggs, applesauce, and bananas are good first choices. Avoid foods that are acidic, spicy, fatty, or fibrous (such as meats, coarse grains, vegetables). Also avoid dairy products. You may start eating these foods again in 3 days or so, when all signs of illness have passed. (So, the main idea is to control the vomitting and diarrhea, so that they couldn't get any worse)

Source: University of Michigan Health System

No comments: